About Clerwood Business Legal Services Edinburgh

Recent Awareness Articles

Pre Trading

Domain Names
Published on 12-Aug-12 12:45
By Gavin Tosh

Getting Business

Collaborative Tendering: the Unsolicited Proposal
Published on 30-Jul-12 12:25
By Gavin Tosh

Managing Contracts

'Clairvoyant Correspondence'
Published on 27-Aug-12 13:25
By Gavin Tosh

Growing the business

Why have a Shareholder Agreement? Part 5
Published on 11-Jun-12 13:15
By Gavin Tosh

More Awareness articles

Contact us

Email address:
Phone number:


Home » Awareness » Managing contracts

Managing contracts

One should be aware constantly of the potential for problems and opportunities  in the course of a contractual relationship, no matter how simple and straightforward it appeared at the outset. Having a written contract is a good start. One can of course have a verbal contract but this is asking for trouble in all but the most simple of contractual arrangements. And make sure it is in place before you start and is not an afterthought, as it may be difficult to negotiate once you have started the job.



'Clairvoyant Correspondence'
In every contractual relationship you should be aware of the future implications of every letter or email that passes between parties - they create a permanent record which may potentially be used as evidence if there is a future difference of opinion, a dispute, even ultimately in court.
Published on 27-Aug-12 13:25
By Gavin Tosh
Costly disagreements: Part 4
Communication breakdown can happen in any relationship but in a contractual relationship there are steps which can be taken to minimize the risk and the resultant fall-out.
Published on 18-Jul-12 13:21
By Gavin Tosh
Forming the contractual relationship
When is the contractual relationship in place? For a contract to be formed an offer must be accepted without qualification.
Published on 31-Jan-11 22:24
By Gavin Tosh

Showing 1 - 3 of 6 articles.
  Next >

Nothing in these awareness articles are intended as legal advice. If you have a specific legal requirement or query you should consult a solicitor directly.